Online adult literacy certification program
Virginia Commonwealth University has established a six-course, graduate-level online certificate in adult literacy. The program covers foundations of literacy, adult learning theory, assessment and instruction, and curriculum design. The six three-credit courses are offered sequentially using the Blackboard online platform.Upon successful completion of the program:
- Participants earn 18 graduate credits and a certificate from VCU.
- Participants in possession of a Virginia State teacher’s license may apply for an endorsement in adult education from the Virginia State Department of Education as defined by Virginia Licensure Regulations of School Personnel, Section 8VAC20-22-200, Adult Education.
- Participants that have completed Level One and Level Two of the Virginia Adult Education Certification Program through the Virginia Adult Learning Resource Center will earn Level Three certification.
The online format is designed to maintain a high degree of rigor while expanding accessibility to as wide an audience as possible. The program provides an extensive and intensive opportunity for practitioners to learn and apply knowledge and skills necessary to become master teachers of adult literacy learners. Throughout the program, nationally renowned leaders from the field provide systematic guidance and feedback needed for participants to reflect critically and to mature as educators in the field of adult literacy.
Courses are offered one per semester, three per year (including summer), for a total of six consecutive semesters. To be eligible, participants must possess a bachelor’s degree (not necessarily in the field of education); a teaching license is NOT required.
To help you plan your program participation, the courses in the series are:
- ADLT 601 – The Adult Learner (Spring 2018 — exact dates TBA)
- READ 602 – Teaching Literacy to Adults (Summer 2018 — exact dates TBA)
- TEDU 681 – Investigations and Trends in Teaching: Numeracy Instruction for Adult Learners (Fall 2018 — exact dates TBA)
- ADLT 607 – Writing Instruction for Adult Learners (Spring 2019 — exact date TBA)
- ADLT 614 – Curriculum Development for Adult Educators (Summer 2019 — exact date TBA)
- ADLT 608 – Adult Education Practicum (Fall 2017 — exact dates TBA)
There are no courses scheduled for fall semester. We plan to resume the program in spring 2018 with a new cycle of classes. Please watch for an email in late fall when we will announce the course and registration information.
For further information, please contact:
Assistant manager, VALRC
Phone: (804) 828-7537
Dr. William R. Muth
Program coordinator and associate professor, adult and adolescent literacy at VCU
Phone: (804) 828-8768